Monday, April 14, 2008

GAMMELOST also knowen as "old cheese"



Earlier today I was talking with a co-worker who said that he loves all types of dairy, I told him "no you like the dairy you know of" I then told him about gammelost, which translated means Old Cheese. Last year when Jessica and I went to Norway we partook of Gammelost with my Grandparents. Here is a little discription of how gammelost is made.


Gammelost (or Gammalost, or Gamalost) is Norwegian “Oldcheese”. (Not “old cheese”, but “Oldcheese”.) There are two main traditions of making Gammelost. The first, and simplest, is to allow skimmed milk to sour in a wooden bucket. The milk is then heated until the curds separate from the whey. The curds are collected in a cheese cloth and pressed in a form to rid them of all of the watery whey. The cheese is then left in a warm room to ferment, and regularly rubbed in with French brandy. When it begins to smell, the cheese is allowed to mature in a bucket of straw stored in the cellar.
The second recipe sounds a little more hygenic. When the curds have been pressed of all the whey, they are boiled in the whey until this begins to thicken. Then the cheese is removed and left for a day or so in the air, being turned frequently. Then it is boiled in beer until this begins to thicken in the same way that the whey did. The cheese is removed, allowed to cool and allowed to mature in a bucket of straw, again in the cellar.
Gammelost must not be eaten before it is a year old. It is medium- to dark brown in colour, granular in texture, and smells just like you’d think year-old cheese would smell.


So next time you guys make it to Norway make sure to try this amazing cheese!

4 comments:

Mats said...

Æsh! kan ikke tro at du spisted det!

Jessica said...

And it tastes every bit as disgusting as you might imagine. Scott likes to describe the flavor as the inside of a barn. It's pretty accurate.

Anonymous said...

I have a true addiction to cheese. I honestly get the shakes if I go without it for any period of time.

If I ever have the desire to get over my addiction, I think I'll just consume some of the cheese you just described. GROSS.

jodi

Jeri said...

Hi,
I'm doing a post about Gammelost for New England Cheesemaking Supply Company's blog and I'm wondering if I could include your great article & picture with a link to your site? jeri1000@gmail.com